After enduring some colder months, most people are energized and motivated to accomplish some things around the house. Owning a home is a lot of work, but you can avoid unwelcome surprises by keeping up with maintenance tasks. This checklist won't take much time, and it could help you avoid an expensive repair, or even a home insurance claim.
1. Inspect the roof. Check for missing or damaged shingles. Any broken, cracked, warped or loose ones should be replaced. Flashing around chimneys and plumbing vents requires regular inspection too. It’s recommended that you hire a professional to get up on the roof to tackle these jobs.
2. Check the gutters. Fix any that are loose or leaking. Clear debris so water can drain easily. Ensure all connections are secure so water flows away from the foundation, otherwise you may end up with water in the basement or crawl space.
3. Check any wood on the exterior of the house. This includes trim around windows, doors, decks and railings. If it gives when you push on it, then it's starting to rot and you should plan on replacing it. Repaint or stain any areas that are exposed to protect it from the elements.
4. Inspect concrete for cracks. Fill these areas with a concrete patch product or silicone caulk to prevent water from entering and causing more damage.
5. Fix any yard erosion. If there are spots collecting water, fill them in so water runs away from the house.
6. If applicable, schedule a central air conditioning tune-up. When the temperature heats up, your system will keep you cool and run more efficiently.
Most homeowners have a list of things to do to keep the household running well. Take the time to include these items to avoid costly issues and repairs in the future. For more information on home maintenance and insurance, contact your independent insurance agent.
Let’s take a look at your coverage needs today. Call Matt Roenker Insurance Agency at 757-671-1111 for more information on Virginia Beach home insurance.